Re: Vista to be Released January 2007 (At the Earliest)

__/ [ Grug ] on Wednesday 22 March 2006 18:52 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4831374.stm
>>
>> Implications:
>>
>>    [1] More time earned to move people to Linux
>
> LOL
>
> You guys are really nuts.
>
> Nobody considering Vista *at this time* would even seriously consider
> moving to Linux.  At the very worst, they might *consider* OSX, but
> that would be it.

OS X has nothing to offer that Linux has not had for ages. OS X was recently
shown to be less secure than Linux and its patching process is more
complicated than that of Linux. Moreover, it is costly. Not just the
hardware, but additional software too.

> Most people don't even know about Vista yet except computer geeks for
> the most part.  They will be happy with XP.  In fact, there are many
> posts of people that say 'Why Vista, XP is great!'... But they will
> find out Vista is in fact, 'Awesome'.

No, Vista just incorporates some new colours and icons (artwork), which makes
it look different. The engine remains merely untouched, with improvement on
par with extending the model of a car over 2 years.

>>    [2] Compelling implication that Windows Vista is disastrous at its core
>
> A lot of Vista's core is entirely new, which is why Vista has required
> a lot of time to develop.

You shall stand corrected.

Wall Street Journal; September, 2005:

,----[ Quote ]

`----

> The network stack is *all* new.  Network latencies are much lower now,
> and it is much easier to saturate the network with small packet sizes
> this time around, which isn't true with XP.  CTCP is going to make
> Vista visibly faster on the Internet.

I haven't had any problems with XP's Network latencies; I do not have network
latency issues with Linux; Same applies to OS X.

That apart, Windows has never been fast. Not on the Internet; not off-line.
It is notorious for its over-bloated existence. Vista has been crucified
many times /already/ for hardware requirements.

> The audio stack is *all* new.  Again, far lower latencies for
> professional audio people here.

See comment above. No noticeable issue in XP; not in Linux; not in OS X. Put
your money where it counts, where it actually matters.

> The graphics stack is mostly new, and GDI is being demoted.  The
> graphics stack is now primarily vector 3D accelerated graphics, with a
> new media API used instead of the now, unaccelerated GDI.

How does it help me as a pragmatic user? Apart from eating away my battery or
taking large chunks of my CPU capacity when I try to get actual work done.

> There is a ton more, but I think you get the picture.
>
> The old kernel is out.
>
>>    [3] Disappointment of the market, which relied on an 'upgrade'
>>        later this year (hardware-, software-wise)
>
> Very true.  Lots of vendors have been anticipating Vista around the
> holidays.  This will certainly disappoint them.

This will *not* be the first time that Redmond disappoints their loyal
middlemen. My bet is this: those who are afraid of changes will buy a
Windows computer for Christmas, as planned. The O/S will be Windows XP,
possibly for many years to come. Service packs, security woes and the list
goes on and on...

>>    [4] ...
>
> Microsoft replaced the head of the Windows dev. team with a guy known
> for making product release dates and promises... FINALLY.

This is no reason for excitement. Au contraire. Given that Office suffers a
great deal due to OpenOffice 2 at the moment, this 'new guy' comes from an
already troubled 'camp'. Will this lead to the same consequences with
Windows? I sure know so.

> We'll see if he can do it for Windows Vista as well.
>
> Anybody that switches to Linux simply because Vista will be delayed a
> few months will be jumping at the chance to switch back when they see
> Vista - it is absolutely awesome.
>
> When they actually *use* it, they will be hooked.  It's that good.

You are missing the point. Not many people will be using Vista. They will buy
a Windows XP computer /before/ Christmas. By that time, XGL, KDE Solid, QT4,
Firefox 2 and many other advances will have made Vista look like yesterday's
technology.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Ping this IP, see if it collapses" --Windows TCP
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  3:40am  up 14 days 20:17,  8 users,  load average: 0.50, 0.49, 0.64