Re: Microsoft Has Stopped Competing with Linux

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Has Stopped Competing with Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 07:56:10 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Thursday 23 March 2006 07:14 \__

> The Little boy is whistling in the dark, hoping that if he sounds big
> and brave, the bullies won't steal his lunch money.

Nice analogy.

> Microsoft has hardly stopped competing.  They are spending $500 million
> to advertize and promote a product that won't be out for another YEAR
> (Vista).

Judging by what I see, many advertisements are paid-for publications in
disguise. CNET are already full of them. They still want to bribe Oprah's
producers. That's just where it all begins...

> They are as protective as they have ever been about publication of
> "Benchmarks" to major publications.  Any direct comparison of any kind
> must show Microsoft as "better" or Microsoft can revoke the Windows
> licenses of the author, his employer, and the entire organization he
> works for.  Of course, the licenses can be "repurchased" for a nominal
> fee and a more favorable article.
>
> Microsoft is spending $500 million to stop companies whose entire
> revenue is less than that.

They spend $500 million on the duel with IBM. It is safe to say that IBM's
revenue is $500 million.

> The problem is that if Microsoft DOESN'T pay the $500 million, there
> are lots of authors and editors and publishers who probably wouldn't
> hesitate to sing the praises of Linux and Unix - even if only in
> defiance of Microsoft.

That's already happening with or without the 'lunch money'. More and more
authors are writing about Open Source, but as in any story, there are those
villains who compromise their true views so as to get a nicer house or make
ends meet. Remember that writers are underpaid and overworked.

> The irony is that Microsoft and it's "partners" have probably diverted
> more money away from major publishers than most publishers had ever
> received from Microsoft.

I ought to admit that Linux Web sites are seeing a surge in traffic due to
public interest, or even just owing to curiosity. Any site or publication
outlet which favours Windows in an impulsive fashion will repel regular
readers.

> And thinking of Linux as a "Me Too" solution shows complete and total
> ignorance of Linux, it's capabilities, and it's power.  Linux is a
> completely different Paradigm from Microsoft, and one which barely
> resembles Windows at the most superficial levels, but provides so much
> more flexibility, stability, security, performance, productivity, and
> raw "power" that users don't need to know about.
>
> Linux integrates seamlessly with Linux, UNIX, and Java systems, and
> with better security, authorization management, access control, and
> managability than Windows.
>
> Linux is both a "Better Unix than Unix" AND a "Better Windows than
> Windows".

Hey. No name-calling! Please. *smile*

> A Volkswagon Beetle and a Porche look very similar, they are about the
> same size, they are about the same height, and they are both German
> Engineering.  But going up the windy mountain roads, the Porche can
> make the trip much faster and much more safely than the Beetle.

Dung beetle.