Re: (News) Kasparov Introduces New Search Engine

__/ [ Who Turned Off The Lights? ] on Thursday 23 March 2006 07:49 \__

> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 07:32:12 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Who Turned Off The Lights? ] on Thursday 23 March 2006 07:06 \__

>>> Where do their results come from? Or does come from their own store?
>>> Their results from my angle seem to resemble yahoo a bit. I'm hardly in
>>> there, but then barely are my biggest competitors. 'and how is it they
>>> really differentiate between whats a WEB vs. Business vs. News content?
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Interesting. Hmmmmm, I do like that logo though. :-)
>>
>> Seems like a Google copycat. Simplicity. If Google's roots were in the
>> hand of the investor, it would probably involve a process as such:
>
> Yes, 'Simplicity' really is IMHO Google's calling card.

Have you taken a look at Google Finance yet? I think *that's* where they may
have taken a wrong turn. Try descending to the level of an individual stock.
Lo and behold! It's bloat which requires modern browsers too. As usual,
invalid (X)HTML, but what else could you ever expect from Google? 8 years
with the same simplistic front page were not a sufficient period of time to
do some 'housekeeping'.

>> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=36099539665548298&q=microsoft+ipod
>
> Forgive me for sounding 'slow' but I didn't quite get it. The Ipod makes me
> laugh when you consider the hundreds that one can spend which may have been
> better spent on a Pocket PC capable of almost doing the same thing. Makes
> me laugh really. Of course it may not fit in your pocket the way an Ipod
> might, so it depends really on one's needs.

Why resort to the Pocket PC (Microsoft's Windows CE) comparsion? I have used
my Palm to play MP3's since 2004. With some large-yet-cheap SD cards which
weigh _less than a gram_, you could store around 4 GB (per card). Nice,
brightly-lit display with a stylus and far more. Much cheaper than an iPod
even.

> Listen Roy, not that I'm trying to one up you here but since we're talkin'
> about Apple have you seen this video? It's quite the hoot! 'couldn't stop
> laughing when I'd first caught sight of it recently.
>
> 1982 Steve Jobs Mac Intro
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-231518237666860736&q=steve+jobs

I'll have a look. One good thing that Google did was making videos
interoperable. I remember the initial announcement very clearly...

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/09/27/browser-media-player/

YouTube have had a similar impact since.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: sheep outnumber people in NZ
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  7:55am  up 15 days  0:32,  8 users,  load average: 0.92, 0.69, 0.64