Re: Sun Compilers Now Available for Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Bruce Scott TOK ] on Friday 24 March 2006 18:29 \__
>
> > Roy S wrote:
> >
> >>http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/rchrd/20060317
> >>
> >>Sun Studio C/C++/Fortran compilers have just been made available for Linux
> >
> > Vastly inferior to Fujitsu/Lahey if my experience means anything...
> >
> > For F90, there's Fujitsu/Lahey and Intel...  and not much else unless
> > something big has happened within the last year or two.
>
> Intel /et al/ have inveatsed many billions in GCC recently. Here is just one
> among the many articles:
>
> http://uk.builder.com/programming/unix/0,39026612,39302238,00.htm
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Some of the $10bn (£5.8bn) in five years that members of the Itanium
> | Solutions Alliance are spending on Itanium market and technology
> | development will go to Itanium-specific improvements to the GCC.
> `----
>
> And, yes, it's as major as it sounds!

How major is it and how do you know? I read the short article and all
it basically says is what your quote shows: "__Some__ of the $10bn
(£5.8bn) in five years that..."

"Some" of that money is being spent on improving gcc. Our national
budget is $2.338 trillion dollars. "Some" of that is being spent on
researching low-height blueberry crops in Vermont.