Re: Microsoft: Schools Fail to Teach Computing

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Friday 24 March 2006 20:10 \__

> On Friday 24 March 2006 19:20 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Actually, what I had in mind is the recurring criticism. Namely, schools
>> that teach students how to use packages like Photoshop and Office. In my
>> brother's school, they actually taught them ASP in Computer Science
>> classes. I protested to him, but being just 16 at the time, he was too
>> young to have his voice count among seniors whose knowledge is bound to
>> nothing but Windows (and possible an MSCE qualification).
>
> ABSOLUTELY!
>
> Around here, in schools, colleges and Adult Education, we have:-
>
> Introduction to Computers = Howto use XP
> Word Processing = Howto use MS Word
> Spreadsheets = Howto use Excel
> Presentations = Howto use Powerpoint
> Internet = Howto use I.E. and Outlook Express
> Graphics Design = Howto use Photoshop
>
> ... not forgetting Computer Security = Howto use Norton!

Prepare to hearing more stories like the following:

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm an art professor, and last semester I embarked on an exciting
| new adventure by erasing Mac OS X from nearly all of the Macintoshes
| in our digital media lab and installing Ubuntu in its place.
|
| I began seriously planning this change last school year, when I realized
| how fully the current feature sets of free software programs could
| satisfy the technical needs of the students in my classes. I decided
| that the time had come to teach our undergraduate art students about
| free software programs such as the GIMP, Scribus, and Quanta Plus,
| instead of proprietary programs such as Photoshop, QuarkXpress,
| and Dreamweaver.
`----

        http://business.newsforge.com/business/06/03/09/2238246.shtml?tid=37

Over here, they have begun running courses on LaTeX and OpenOffice. Despite
the fact that these teaching slots are a minority, they signal the beginning
of a change. With demand, courses expand. With more people saving $300 and
installing OpenOffice, such courses will flourish.