Re: Wireless broadband is key to the UN's goal of connecting 85 per cent of world's villages by 2015

  • Subject: Re: Wireless broadband is key to the UN's goal of connecting 85 per cent of world's villages by 2015
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 06:24:21 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Lobo ] on Saturday 25 March 2006 05:17 \__

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 04:53:01 +0100, rgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Roy Culley)
> wrote:
>
>>begin  risky.vbs
>><g3u8225c8tbuv4l41eqmk1t8gf3dgfmrnl@xxxxxxx>,
>>Lobo <not@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>>>
>>> http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/TechGovernment/News.asp?id=38849
>>> Wireless broadband is primed for takeoff, particularly in the Middle
>>> East, Southeast Asia, Eastern Europe and Africa. Even here in
>>> Canada, the Alberta Special Areas Board (SAB) is rolling out a
>>> broadband wireless network based on the WiMAX standard to rural
>>> residents in southeastern Alberta, covering an area of 21,000 square
>>> kilometres.  The network, which is being developed by Nortel and
>>> Netago Wireless, will be available to 80 per cent of SAB residents
>>> by the end of this summer.
>>
>>Wireless networking is going to be a major boon in developing
>>countries which don't have an existing landline infrastructure.
>>
>>I remember a story a few years ago where Poland were investing heavily
>>in their landline infrastructure. They would lay the cables during the
>>day and at night others would steal them to sell the copper. :-)
>
> Hehehe.... probably the same guys....

I have been reading about deployment of Open Source Wi-Fi solutions recently,
but have not posted them here. It is yet another sector where Open Source
can cut the costs and deliver good QoS. As a side note, Cisco may /already/
face a real threat due to Open Source. This was discussed before.
Ultimately, all communication (including VoIP, IM, IPTV) will be openly
understood rather than vendor-inclined.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux + tax = Mac OS = (Windows - functionality)
  6:20am  up 16 days 22:57,  8 users,  load average: 0.59, 0.56, 0.69