Re: How do you go about "purchasing" an open source product?

  • Subject: Re: How do you go about "purchasing" an open source product?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 06:19:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Lobo ] on Friday 24 March 2006 22:23 \__

> http://www.canopener.ca/
> Canadian Open Source Education and Research
>
> Purchasing and Open Source Projects
>
> I'll give a particular example: we've been using pdfcreator to solve a
> thorny issue for a number of months now. It's an open source success
> story: a free program works better (for our use case) than the ones we
> paid several thousand dollars for. Three cheers for us, and for the
> taxpayer. Now how do we spread that benefit to the developers who
> created the fine program (well, collection of programs) that allows us
> to do so much with so little?
>
> Full discussion thread at
> http://lists.canopener.ca/pipermail/discuss/2006-March/002167.html

Sometimes, joining the team and helping enhance the product (it is Open
Source after all) is a way of giving back. In turn, it is the benefactor
that helps yet another business.

Otherwise, payment can be made in the form of donations.

My 2 cents,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Quote when replying in non-real-time dialogues"
  6:15am  up 16 days 22:52,  8 users,  load average: 0.41, 0.70, 0.79