Re: Microsoft: Schools Fail to Teach Computing

__/ [ chrisv ] on Saturday 25 March 2006 13:05 \__

> Ian Hilliard wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:48:38 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> I will avoid flaming by making the remarks one begs for.
>>
>> For the most part, particularly in so-called modern Western countries,
>> this is true. Instead, the students are being taught to use MS products.
>> As the OS is so fragile, the students can't be taught other than basic
>> management of the systems. Othrerwise, it would be necessary to do a
>> number of reinstalls after every class.
>
> Not only that, but the entire system is intentionally dumbed-down and
> opaque.
>
>> In countries like India & China, the students are learning on Linux and
>> are REALLY learning computing. This includes full system administration
>> and programming in a number of languages. It is no wonder that these
>> countries are taking over the IT industry.
>
> Yeah, you might be able to make a case for Windwoes (or Mac) for people
> who just want a platform for running their favorite applications, but for
> anyone who really CARES about computers and wants to really understand
> how they work, there's just no contest - Linux rules.

This reminds me of the following essay, which I recommend.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/ThePerilsofJavaSchools.html

Joel used to manage the Excel team, but he now compiles his software for
Linux. In the essay, he whines about CS students who never really learned
*computing* and don't know the very fundamentals.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Vista: as the reputation of "Longhorn" was mucked
  1:30pm  up 17 days  6:07,  8 users,  load average: 1.96, 2.23, 2.22