Re: Venezuela's President Promotes Free Open Source Software

__/ [ NoStop ] on Saturday 25 March 2006 16:21 \__

http://news.tmcnet.com/news/-venezuela-promotes-free-open-source-software-as-alternative-/2006/03/24/1487930.htm

>> Venezuela promotes free open-source software as alternative to Microsoft
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | President Hugo Chavez has long been critical of big transnational
>> | companies, and now his government is promoting free open-source
>> | software as an alternative to market-dominatingMicrosoft
>> `----
>
> YES!!! Great news. Nice to see the left is moving towards using GNU/Linux
> instead of software from the evil empire.

I believe that Brazil's President (or was it PM...?) has similar sentiments
with regards to OSS. Cuba likewise, but with respect, I couldn't care less
about Cuba, at least for the sake of this particular argument.

For the past year or so, I have been noticing a large number of mailing list
subscribers from Brazil. They helped me with a variety of queries and
problems across different OSS discussion lists. In terms of Linux usage, I
don't know what exactly goes on in Brazil (I can only imagine though). The
same uncertainty is true from a global perspective. I believe that Linux
users outnumber Mac users by a threefold, at least.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  4:45pm  up 17 days  7:30,  8 users,  load average: 0.43, 0.48, 0.52