Re: Yahoo Ads Shoot Self in Foot

__/ [ MGW ] on Sunday 26 March 2006 15:46 \__

http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/screenshots/yahoo_ads_promote_google_ads.jpg

>> To clarify, Flickr are a Yahoo company. Also, a couple of days ago I read
>> the following:
>>
>> http://ideas.4brad.com/node/380
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Yahoo publisher?s blog ads, which some of you are seeing in the RSS
>> | feed have been a miserable failure, and will be removed next software
>> | upgrade. They are poorly targetted and have earned me, literally, not
>> | even a dollar.
>> `----
>
> Also, read:
>
> The Yahoos at Yahoo
> by Randy Cassingham
> http://www.crankycustomer.com/
>
> (I posted this in another thread yesterday, but it's more appropriate
> for here.)

Intersting read, MGW. I might as well add a couple of past stories:

* Google got sued for displaying competitive ads among content that did not
fit the ad (an adversity). For example, search for 'linux', get
microsoft.com on the top; or write a Linux page and have AdSense embed
Windows ads in this page (this can be prevented manually by domain
exclusion).

* For quite a while after Yahoo had acquired Flickr, the site continued to
use AdSense for revenue. This invalidated the value of Yahoo's advertisement
program, on its very own turf.

Based on some inside information, MSN will rely on user spying on his/her
desktop to deliver targetted ads. Much like in Minority Report.

Best wishes,