Re: Keeping knode and kmail in sync on different machines

  • Subject: Re: Keeping knode and kmail in sync on different machines
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 05:52:13 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [ Tristan Miller ] on Monday 27 March 2006 05:15 \__

> Greetings.
>
> In article <48p5teFl16mpU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, J.O. Aho wrote:
>> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>> Is there any simple - preferably standard - way
>>> of keeing knode and/or kmail in sync on different machines,
>>> eg by using rsync?
>>> If so, what files does one need to keep in sync?
>>
>> IMHO the easiest and simplest way is to have a file server that over nfs
>> does share /home to all the machines, this way you have access to
>> everything, files, settings, data...
>
> That presupposes that both machines have network connectivity.  This won't
> work for taking your laptop on the road, for example, which is one of the
> most common sync scenarios.
>
> Regards,
> Tristan

I solve this particular issue by always SSH'ing to one machine where
everything is maintained. This requires fast connection at both ends, which
is the major pitfall. Mozilla applications have some synchronisation
utilities, which are worth exploring. Thee other possibility, as already
pointed out, is to share the filesystem and fetch the settings and data from
there. I know about people who do this with Thunderbird, but this can
probably be achieved with KMail and KNode.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  5:50am  up 18 days 19:35,  9 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.36, 0.32