Re: Wireless broadband is key to the UN's goal of connecting 85 per cent of world's villages by 2015

  • Subject: Re: Wireless broadband is key to the UN's goal of connecting 85 per cent of world's villages by 2015
  • From: Lobo <not@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 20:27:05 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 19:58:33 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>__/ [ Lobo ] on Sunday 26 March 2006 17:43 \__
>
>> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 06:24:21 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>__/ [ Lobo ] on Saturday 25 March 2006 05:17 \__

>>>I have been reading about deployment of Open Source Wi-Fi solutions
>>>recently, but have not posted them here. It is yet another sector where
>>>Open Source can cut the costs and deliver good QoS. As a side note, Cisco
>>>may /already/ face a real threat due to Open Source. This was discussed
>>>before. Ultimately, all communication (including VoIP, IM, IPTV) will be
>>>openly understood rather than vendor-inclined.
>>>
>>>Best wishes,
>>>
>>>Roy
>>
>> There is movement afoot in Canada and in other nations around the
>> world to consider internet access a basic human right and as such it
>> should be available to all like health care and education is here in
>> Canada.
>
>I fail to recall which city it was in Canada, that recently announced a plan
>to offer region-wide wireless access. I tried searching the Web, but all I
>could come up with was this:
>
>http://www.ergoweb.com/news/detail.cfm?id=1277

Toronto, Canada's largest city. Keep in mind that hydro is a public
utility.
http://www.ergoweb.com/news/detail.cfm?id=1277

Listen to the ra on this site. It's a discussion with a hydro rep.
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1151