Re: Disappointment with Linux

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 30 March 2006 17:59 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:05:38 +0100
> <e0gs7i$bqm$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 30 March 2006 15:58 \__
>>
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, billwg
>>> <billw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>  wrote
>>> on Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:01:59 GMT

>>> Except servers, apparently.  How did that phrasing for NT go?
>>> Ah, that's it.  "Unix killer".
>>>
>>> I'll admit to ambivalence but Linux is killing the proprietary
>>> Unices much more effectively than a certain offering from a
>>> Redmond company ever did.  (Of course the proprietary Unices
>>> will simply embrace the penguin, turning into free Unices, or
>>> at least Unices with a substantial amount of freeware, in an
>>> effort to cut development costs.)
>>

>> "33.6% of servers sold in Q4 2005 were Windows servers"
>>
>> Linux servers generated $1.6 bln in quarterly revenue, the 14th
>> consecutive quarter of double-digit growth, with YTY revenue growth of
>> 20.8%.
>
> Like I said, ambivalence.  Windows holds the desktop
> (but it's not as sure a grip as they would like, and
> the penguin is pecking away).  Linux is taking over the
> server market -- if one can say it's a takeover when the
> proprietary Unices are arm-in-arm with the Penguin.  :-)
>
> Tux is like Unix in that regard: he's very friendly.  :-)
> He's just picky about his friends.

Friends alike. I can't foresee Mr. Ballmer waring sandals any time soon...

> (I could make an obscure reference to Megapei "glitten
> root", but apart from indicating my reading preferences
> it's not all that illuminating. :-) )

The only light that brightens is the highly popular RSS parser:

        http://magpierss.sourceforge.net/

>> < http://blogs.zdnet.com/ITFacts/?p=10325 >
>>

>>> So now Windows 2003 Server Edition merely has to kill of all the
>>> Linux servers out there.
>>

>> Windows server has serious issues. A delay was announced
>> yesterday, so it will be ready no earlier than 2007.
>
> I saw that announcement too.  Of course, now I can't find it;
> Google is coughing up stuff from 2003R2, which was rather well back.

Next Microsoft Virtual Server slips to 2007

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6054941.html

        http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,2180,1911773,00.asp

Monday, January 16, 2006

Windows XP Service Pack 3: Not Until 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| UPDATED: The 'preliminary' due date for the next collection of fixes
| and patches for Microsoft's desktop operating system is as more than
| a year later than many company watchers were expecting.
`----

That was back in January. Now that we look at the headlines we can say: "Yes,
we know. It is indeed 2007".

        http://schestowitz.com/Amusement/vista-upgrade/