Re: Disappointment with Linux

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Thursday 30 March 2006 18:22 \__

> On Thursday 30 March 2006 16:05 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> "33.6% of servers sold in Q4 2005 were Windows servers"
>
> Please forgive my ignorance, but if one third of servers sold were Windows
> servers, what were the other two thirds of servers sold?

The revenue from Unix is going down while Microsoft's goes up by a margin.
Linux goes up in big numbers, despite it being free. Microsoft possibly lead
in terms of /revenue/ because their servers are overpriced. In terms of
numbers, they are nowhere to be seen. Over here, the trend is that of
replacing ever-crashing Windows servers with Linux.

> - and second, what about servers that were not sold?  Do we have, or is
> there any way to get, an estimate of the number of servers that were
> just.... well ... installed?

In my humble opinion, no. The definitions vary. See an old(er) discussion
that started with Qualig in the context of Linux on the desktop. The only
true way to estimate anything is by counting sales/revenue.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Othello for free: http://othellomaster.com
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  6:40pm  up 22 days  8:25,  10 users,  load average: 0.31, 0.48, 0.47