Re: Disappointment with Linux

__/ [ Grug ] on Thursday 30 March 2006 19:38 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> I am very disappointed with Linux installers. Disappointed because they
>> have become so intervention-free. They make me feel like a boor. They ask
>> which language I speak because they cannot read my mind. Sometimes, they
>> make me feel special; they ask me to swap CD's.
>>
>> Linux has no future. It offers no challenges anymore. It's only for those
>> idiots who just want things to always work...
>
> I wish Linux made me feel like a 'boor'.  Instead, I need to hunt for
> audio, video, printing, and a whole bunch of other drivers that need to
> be updated... then I need to figure out how to actually do it without
> recompiling the kernel.  Then, of course, you need to get support out
> there on the Net cause Linux installs always have nagging problems
> afterwards.

You are posing this from Windows via a highly notorious tool [1], so what
gives you the credentials to qualitatively assess Linux? Which distributions
have you tried? I imagine you gave the Linux learning curve (e.g. directory
structure, analogous applications) no more then 5 minutes before calling it
quits.

> Don't worry, you'll be very *happy* with Linux installs.  They offer
> some most complex problems for everyone, and some that just can't be
> solved.  That should keep you busy and happy!

Unfortunately, yes and no. I get no challenges when it comes to maintaining
the system and *yes*, it keeps me very busy. With a 20,000 pixel-wide
desktop fully-loaded with in-progress work (papers, poster, music) I have
too much in my hands. The underlying existence of Linux is totally
transparent to me, so *yes*, I rarely get that reboot which permits me to
get coffee and rest. Up for 3 weeks over here, up for 120 days at home (and
counting). Your opinions, as expressed above, are wishful thinking. They
reflect nothing on the truth unless the truth is that which resides in you
mind is is baseless owing to inexperience.

[1] The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
  8:15pm  up 22 days 10:00,  10 users,  load average: 0.93, 0.92, 0.89