Re: search-engines and template sites

  • Subject: Re: search-engines and template sites
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:48:22 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ Big Bill ] on Thursday 30 March 2006 20:39 \__

> On 30 Mar 2006 10:52:18 -0800, "craig"
> <craig.haugo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>I have a couple questions about template websites (i.e. Go-Daddy).
>>
>>I publish 6 print magazines and am looking to put these content rich
>>magazines on the web.
>>
>>Are there any indexing/crawling disadvantages to using template sites?
>>

>>Do search engines penalize template sites in anyway?
>>
>>Or is it just content, content, content?
>>
>>Hopefully, someone out there can help.
>>
>>Thanks,
>
> If you look at my site www.kruse.co.uk, the whole thing's a template
> site. It doesn't seem to hurt it. It's the content that you put in it
> that counts, and, as you can see, it's different, lots different, on
> every page. Which is how you have to keep things, keep the content
> varied, don't think it's enough to write the same page lots of times
> and just change the names, or the locations, or the dates or
> something. If you look at both the sites in my sig, they're template
> driven too, essentially the same template as well, but the signs are
> they'll be ok. If you think about it, every page on the web is molded
> from a very basic form of template, an html template, a flash template
> etc. How do we distinguish between them? How do we tell one site from
> another? By the content therein, so let that be your watchword.
>
> BB

Any decent design paradigm/CMS involves templating nowadays. Penalising for
the use of a template may result in some of the best sites being excluded.
I'll close with just 3 lines of text. I'm pulling a BB! *wink*

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: ~70% of organisms are bacteria
  8:45pm  up 22 days 10:30,  10 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.38, 0.56