Re: (News) The New Anti-Linux FUD Campaign

__/ [ Gordon ] on Friday 31 March 2006 21:09 \__

> Grug wrote:
>

>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=5691&inkc=0
>>
>> Well, considering that Linux and Windows both gained a lot of ground in
>> the server market, I'd say it's pretty close and that the difference is
>> not as much as the report claims.
>>
>> The Windows Server and Tools division reported steep increases in its
>> revenue and profit year over year and also by quarter.  In other words,
>> they are doing great.
>
> Revenue is not the best method of comparison - for example, MS COULD have
> sold only one server costing US$ 3 billion..........and Linux companies
> COULD have sold 3 billion units at US$1 each - which one has the most
> market share?
> The only REAL test is numbers of units sold......
> --
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

A recent unbiased study showed that only 1 in 3 servers sold runs Windows.
That's a fact. Revenue is another monster and there are people who believe
that 5 times more expensive must 5 times better.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  9:10pm  up 23 days 10:55,  10 users,  load average: 1.08, 0.96, 0.97