Re: [News] Google Earns Money from Typos

__/ [ Paul B ] on Monday 01 May 2006 15:53 \__

> On Mon, 01 May 2006 13:52:34 GMT, info_at_1-script_dot_com@xxxxxxx
> (www.1-script.com) wrote:

>>This is rather easy to explain. It's how I type after a second cup of
>>coffee. Of course, usually typos represent all the four keys adjacent to
>>the one that you were supposed to hit, but on a bad day it could be simply
>>anything ;-)
>
> I still don't see how anyone could mistype as bistbuy no matter how
> bad your day is.

There is also another factor which is stroke patterns. For example, it is
natural to hit, "i" and then "e", but not vice versa. That, for example, is
why many people misspell "weird", despite the fact that the know the correct
spelling. Another common typo you can probably spot every day. You can also
use search engines to find and confirm commonality of typos (taking into
consideration frequency of use and simplicity). *smile*

>>Are you guys also getting a kick out of the fact that this rather negative
>>article was published in *Seattle* Times? Guess who's one of the largest
>>employers in the area ;-) No, it's not Boeing I'm talking about...

Publications from that area tend to favour the locals, based on other
articles I have come across. Redmon, WA (even Seattle) residents tend to
think of themselves as those who reside in their own country. Same with New
York, New York, I am told. Some would add London to that list, among other
places (Quebec?).

> What's negative about it ?
> If they want to waste their time doing so, then fine. It won't take
> long before these scraper sites / landing pages will get banned or
> penalised in some form or other. And as I do not use adwords, then
> it's no skin off my nose.
>
> Anyway, my point was how they could mistype it as such.

Maybe it's intentional after all. I noticed some time in the past that the
greater gold mines are typo SEPR's, especially if the typos are commonly
repeated (not necessarily on page, but among users). Large sites already
have 'para-sites' lying around -- those that snatch traffic by relying on
user typos in the address/search bar. Even my main site, which is not big,
has had a para-site since last year.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  4:05pm  up 3 days 23:02,  13 users,  load average: 0.69, 0.31, 0.31