Re: Will applications that run on v9.3 run on v10?

  • Subject: Re: Will applications that run on v9.3 run on v10?
  • From: "Pat" <pkelecy(removethis)@insightbb.com>
  • Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 13:58:46 GMT
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
news:1437488.orl6dqABf3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> __/ [ Mark Hellman ] on Sunday 30 April 2006 16:55 \__
>
>> Pat wrote:
>>
>>> I have some technical software that will run on SuSE 9.3 Professional,
>>> according to the system requirements.  Would this likely run on SuSE 10
>>> or
>>> 10.1 as well?  I'm planning to give SuSE Linux a try (after having been
>>> in
>>> the Windows world for the past 12 years) and would like to try the
>>> latest
>>> version, but would like to be able to run this app as well.
>>
>> Since the SuSE versions are close to each other, most likely it will
>> work.
>> Once in a while, when installing proprietary software, that are issues
>> with
>> system libraries versions. But this can usually be solved by creating the
>> necessary symbolic links in the libraries directory.
>> Email me if you face any problems.
>
> 10.1 has not been released yet, so I urge you to avoid it. There is more
> lose than to gain at this beta stage. I am not convinced that version 10
> offers /tremendous/ benefits and advantages over 9.3.
>
> My suggestion to you would be: install 9.3 and have things working as
> expected. As 9.3 is relatively out-of-date, rest assured that the software
> vendor will build the software for version 10 (which /may/ also be fully
> compatible, so consider experimenting), at which stage you can upgrade
> your
> O/S (a painless, effortless, and largely automatic process).
>
> Do not forget to urge your vendor to supply a newer version of the
> software,
> as well. You must make it evident that there is a market out there to be
> won. The vendor might argue that the current build is /already/ compatible
> with version 10. If not, building it for version 10 will not be hard. It
> just requires some prodding.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Roy
>
> --
> Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows: backward-compatible, even for
> viruses
> http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux     ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
>  1:45pm  up 3 days 20:42,  12 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.59, 0.69
>      http://iuron.com - help build a non-profit search engine

Thanks for the feedback.  If there's not really that much difference, then
it certainly makes sense start with 9.3.

It just sounded like 10.0 (or the soon to be released 10.1) was better for
new users.  According a Novell press release, they have "extended and
improved every element of the distribution (10.1) to give the best possible
desktop experience to first-time Linux users..." and "SUSE Linux 10.1
provides a full-featured desktop designed especially for the new Linux
user..."   So they certainly make it sound like this is the one try if
you're new to Linux.  Is that not the case?  Also, does the 9.3 download
include all the other software advertised for version 10?