Re: [News] Internet Explorer Attempts to 'Pull a Netscape'

__/ [ M ] on Monday 01 May 2006 22:34 \__

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/01/technology/google_microsoft/index.htm?section=cnn_tech

> Well that explains why Google started advertising Firefox on their US site.
>
> Personally I would not have thought that they have got too much to worry
> about when you see the number of web sites using the Google search engine
> in some form or other.
>
> Having said that it will be interesting to see what happens when these two
> really decide to lock horns.

As one article pointed out, since Firefox makes Google the default search
engine and gives no MSN/Live.com option (unless fetched as a search
plug-in), one could easily argue against Google's claim. That said, the
distribution extent of Windows is nowhere on par with that of Firefox, which
still requires a /download/ (with Internet Explorer) or a CD/media.

Many users will be wise enough to use Google as their search engine of choice
in IE7. Others will be totally oblivious to the ability to choose, let alone
what search engine they are using. Like I said before, expect Google and
Microsoft to battle in court many times in the future. The fight for the top
executive, which Microsoft ultimately lost, was only the tip of the iceberg.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  5:40am  up 4 days 12:37,  13 users,  load average: 1.49, 1.00, 0.95