Re: Linux Laptop (newspaper letter)

__/ [ William Poaster ] on Wednesday 03 May 2006 10:42 \__

> It was on Mon, 01 May 2006 13:33:57 +0100 when Roy Schestowitz posted
> this:
>
> <snipped>
>
>> Dell are rumoured to have plans of launching Linux laptops in France [1].
>> As for the UK, Novatech sell Intel and AMD laptops without an operating
>> system [2].
>>
>> [1] http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/
>
> Thanks for the link, Roy. I was considering getting a laptop, but didn't
> want to buy one with Windows on. I would install SuSE linux on it instead.

SuSE would work gracefully with these laptops, if I recall correctly. I
discovered about Novatech in uk.comp.misc, where Windows can no longer be
assumed nowadays. As regards the eSys offer, it was ac's post that persuaded
me to give it a go. It's barely ever used, but I get my money's (or lack
thereof) worth.

> It's interesting to note (IMHO) the difference in price of a laptop
> without Windows, as opposed to one with. For example, this:
> http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/nbsextra.html?NNB-359
>
> Without any OS = £774.33p
>
> With XP Home = £831.90p
>
> With XP Pro = £867.15p
>
> Price difference:
> With XP home installed = £57.57p
>
> With XP Pro installed = £92.82p
>
> Also when you look at the desktop models, you see similar.
> You can be paying just over £100 difference between having no OS & XP Pro
> pre-installed.
>
> Kind of knocks a hole in the Windows users argument (in another
> group) that you don't pay for windows in an OEM machine. ;-)

The skeptics use vendors that support their hypothesis as exemplars. From
what I have heard, Novatech have better customer service than Dell (based
solely on word of month). They would replace faulty screens without
hesitation. They have plenty to prove on the support front, which means that
the customer is the one to gain.

> Oh, & you haven't finished there of course. If you want MS Office, it
> could be another £214. Then you want an AV, which can be as much as £28.
> So the total difference on a desktop could be as high as £335.54p, & you
> haven't even bought a monitor yet!

I was thinking along the lines of a console for the living room. If GNU/Linux
has a deficiency when it comes to diversity in games (guess whose fault it
is: game developers), a circle can be closed.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: A dragonfly only lives for one day
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  2:35pm  up 5 days 21:32,  12 users,  load average: 1.49, 1.16, 0.88