Re: Palm with Linux Easier Than with OS X and Windows

__/ [ Ryan Case ] on Wednesday 03 May 2006 14:53 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Why is it that people *still* hypothesize that handheld synchronisation
>> under Linux is rocket science? Palm support is no longer immature.
>>
>> Take Ubuntu and SuSE** for example. All that is involved in both cases is
>> plugging in your Palm cradle to the port, then opening kpilot or gpilot
>> (both distributions have an icon in the menu 'out of the box', for
>> _default-type_ installation). Then, all you need to do is hit the Sync
>> button and hit Next, Next, Finish. All done. Subsequently, the Palm
>> daemons will run in the background. Setup, as described above, is far
>> simpler than the equivalent on Mac OS X and Windows. This wasn't
>> necessarily the case in the past, as the famous out-of-date HOTTO would
>> suggest:
>>
>>         http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/PalmOS-HOWTO.html
>>
>> That was the past, *not* the present. Maybe it still suits some stubborn
>> Gentoo users.
>>
>> There are also synchronisationtolls for Windows Mobile, by the way. There
>> is an active project in sourceforge, which goes back a year/years into the
>> past.
>>
>> **My favoured Debian/GNOME and KDE distributions; also the ones with which
>> I have most experience.
>
> I sync my toshiba pocketpc running windows mobile with my Ubuntu box at
> home no problem.
>
> It did take about 10 minutes to get working though. If you count reboots
> that is prolly close to how long it took on the xp machine with supplied
> drivers etc.

I have no experience with synchronisation of PocketPC, but I can assure you
that with Palm handhelds the 'running cost/time' seems higher in Windows
(Macs use essentially the same software: HotSync Manager and Palm Desktop).

I synchronised with Windows for over 3 years and it gave me far more hassle
than KPilot and GPilot (error prompts, daemons die). Actually, last month I
had to reboot SuSE (after 4-5 months of uptime). KPilot refused to identify
the conduit, but the reboot resolved this.

With kind regards,

Roy S. Schestowitz  | McDonald's does to diet what Microsoft does to PC's
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  2:50pm  up 5 days 21:47,  12 users,  load average: 1.56, 0.72, 0.66