Re: [News] Ballmer's Worrisome Memo

On 2006-05-03, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> __/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Wednesday 03 May 2006 07:05 \__
>
>> On 2006-05-02, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted
>> something concerning:
>>> Internal memo: Ballmer on Wall Street reaction
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/103091.asp#extended
>>>
>>> This is the first source to contain the memo in its entirety, I believe.
>>
>> Fester's just spending it all on new lightbulbs most likely.
>
> That increased spending argument has never persuaded me. It is being used as
> Microsoft's defence/confidence. If you look closely at the early analyses --
> these that came out on Friday -- you will notice that the reason is a
> decline in profits/revenue (can't remember which), as well as failure to
> match expectation.
>
> The combination of increased spending (AKA panic mode) and degraded
> performance does not reflect positively _at all_. How can anyone put a
> positive spin to a scanrio where a hooker loses business, so she then lowers
> her cost? [rhetorical]

Easy. She's attracting new clientele so she can maximize exposure.

That doesn't work for M$ because they can't be maximized any more. And
nevermind that the hooker is going to draw in more of the types she
really needs to avoid maximizing her exposure /to/.

I'm wondering if Erik could spin it better, though.

--
Marriage is the chief cause of divorce.
  -- Gorucho Marx