Re: [News] Ballmer on Xbox 360 Losses

__/ [ Jim Richardson ] on Friday 05 May 2006 04:26 \__

> On Fri, 05 May 2006 03:52:25 +0100,
>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> __/ [ Jim Richardson ] on Friday 05 May 2006 01:07 \__

>>> maybe they forgot to amortise in the cost of replacing chairs in
>>> Ballmer's office so often?
>>
>> - From what I hear, the XBox 360 had some serious overheating problems
>> too. Does that explain why Ballmer sweats so much?
>>
>> Roy
>>

> yeah, having the product catch fire occasionally probably has a negative
> effect on profitability.

They are more careful when it comes to the Origami Ultra-Mobile PC (UMPC),
which is manufactured by Samsung and was found to have a serious flaw
(something mechanical I can only suspect, but they called it a "bug"). It
led a a delay just days/weeks (I say this with doubt) before hitting the
shelves. Many dissappointed people who made prior orders... should have
learned a lesson from the Xbox 360.

Also see:

|     Microsoft has launched its Xbox 360 games console in Japan to what
| seems like a more subdued response than it received in Europe and
| North America.
|
|     [...]
|
|     Sales of the first Microsoft Xbox in Japan have always lagged behind
| Sony PlayStation 2, which was launched two years before it.
`----

Probably more of a patriotic act, but perhaps the Japanese understand
technology better and could foresee the trouble. I don't know about South
Korea where Samsung are based...

Meanwhile, despite evident success, Microsoft can only discurage purchases of
the Nokia 770 by urging the Seattle Times to write unfavourable N770 reviews
(as they did).

Best wishes,

Roy

- --
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    /earth: file system full
  5:45am  up 7 days 12:42,  14 users,  load average: 0.53, 0.80, 0.72