Re: Windows recovery

  • Subject: Re: Windows recovery
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 17:29:00 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Gordon ] on Tuesday 09 May 2006 17:11 \__

> Aunty Diluvian wrote:
>
>> What the hell does that mean: "...no-joined-up thinking..."?
>
> It means that in MS the left hand doesn't even THINK about what the right
> hand is doing, never mind knowing what it's doing.
>
>> MS has tried to force it's user base from fat32 to their proprietary
>> file system for years.
>
> And there are many posts on the XP groups with the gist of "I backed up my
> data on W98 using the W98 backup tool, installed Windows XP and now the
> backup files can't be read"! THATS what I meant by "non-joined-up" thinking
> on MSs part. If they wanted to force people to use XP instead of W98 you
> would have thought they would have made it super-smooth to restore
> backed-up data made in W98, wouldn't you? But NO! They do NOT!

As yet another example, filetypes in Outlook and Outlook Express vary. I have
been providing help in Windows newsgroups for several years and there are
baffled users whose migration left them unable to import contacts, mail, and
the like. With no standards (as in universal, binary-independent formats
such as MBOX), everything is fragmented and poorly-integrated, even *WITHIN*
Windows and its variants. The user is not only unable to take his/her data
elsewhere (thank goodness for Thunderbird importers), but even an upgrade
seems to post similar issues.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  5:20pm  up 12 days  0:17,  8 users,  load average: 1.07, 0.64, 0.57