Re: Problem with Ubuntu/Gnome

  • Subject: Re: Problem with Ubuntu/Gnome
  • From: Alan Adams <alan.adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 21:41:43 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
In message <1445454.mbEeF5qPDR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> __/ [ Alan Adams ] on Monday 08 May 2006 18:25 \__
>
>> In message <qm62j3-n2d.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>           Schraalhans Keukenmeester
>> <firstname_DOT_lastname_AT_xs4all_DOT_nl> wrote:

>>> Have you got a backup copy of your xorg.conf ? On my system in
>>> /etc/X11/, not sure what ubuntu uses.
>>>
>>> If so, compare it to your current xorg.conf
>>>
>>> I had issues like yours once which were caused by an overwritten
>>> xorg.conf that did away with my custom settings. Not sure which
>>> package/update exactly rewrote xorg.conf, but it DID backup the original
>>>   luckily so I was back on track in notime.
>>>
>>> man xorg.conf can also help you find out about xorg configuration.
>>
>> Thanks for that. I'll look into it after the meeting I'm about to go
>> to.
>

> Looking at a Ubuntu 4 box of mine:
>

> ,----[ Output ]
> | roy@dialup:/etc/X11 $ ls
> | app-defaults             rstart            xinit       Xsession.options
> | cursors                  sysconfig         xkb         xsm
> | default-display-manager  X                 Xresources  Xwrapper.config
> | fonts                    XF86Config-4      xserver
> | gdm                      XF86Config-4~     Xsession
> | rgb.txt                  XF86Config-4.bck  Xsession.d
> `----
>

> So, as you can see, there is a .bck file. Try the following commands
> (assuming similar/identical filenames):
>
> ,----[ Commands ]
> | cp  XF86Config-4  XF86Config-4-my-new-rotten-settings
> | cp  XF86Config-4.bck  XF86Config-4
> `----

There is no .bck file. Furthermore, the only file in the /etc/X11
directory with a recent modification date is default-display-manager,
which contains a single line /use/sbin/gdm

The modification date/time is about when the system stopped working.

I have a nasty suspicion, (based partly on Windows experience, hence
probably wrong) that a binary has been replaced with one which doesn't
like the I815 chipset. Is there a straightforward way to undo updates?

I am assuming that I was running Gnome because there was (ans is) a
help icon at the top of the screen with Gnome as a prominent item. I'm
pretty sure I'm running Gnome now. The filer claims to be Nautilus.

This installation is pretty much default. The only major changes have
been setting up Samba and NFS.

> Now, log out and log in again (or simple reboot) to restart X. I can't recall
> how this can be done easily in GNOME (CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE in KDE). Any joy?
> Just going to the screen resolution submenu /may/ suffice, without even
> restarting X, but somehow I doubt it.
>

>> I hadn't done any configuration - Ubuntu set the system up for me "out
>> of the box", unlike Debian which flatly refused to recognise the I815
>> chipset.
>>
>> It would be nice if there was a utility to back up all the
>> configuration files - it seems at the moment I have to find each one
>> separately and copy it.
>

> All your settings files (excluding a few system (global) settings/files)
> exist in your home directory. It is a good habit to keep (dump) a copy of
> all your settings every now and then. In case something goes amiss, you can
> revert back to the old state. I suggest you compress all your dot files,
> which contain application/module-specific settings:

The trouble is I suspect the ones important to me at the moment are
X11 (in /etc/X11?) Samba (where?) and NFS (/etc/mount and so on). Not
all in my home directory.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan.adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx