Re: Problem with Ubuntu/Gnome

  • Subject: Re: Problem with Ubuntu/Gnome
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 18:38:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
__/ [ Alan Adams ] on Monday 08 May 2006 18:25 \__

> In message <qm62j3-n2d.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Schraalhans Keukenmeester
> <firstname_DOT_lastname_AT_xs4all_DOT_nl> wrote:
>
>> Alan Adams wrote:
>>> I have an Ubuntu system running on an old Pc, and up to now it has
>>> worked well. Last night when I started it up it announced a number of
>>> upgrades were available, and I allowed it to install them.
>>>
>>> Now the screen will only appear in 640 x 480 at 60HZ. The screen
>>> resolution tool has no other values.
>>>
>>> How do I get my full screen back?
>>>
>> Have you got a backup copy of your xorg.conf ? On my system in
>> /etc/X11/, not sure what ubuntu uses.
>>
>> If so, compare it to your current xorg.conf
>>
>> I had issues like yours once which were caused by an overwritten
>> xorg.conf that did away with my custom settings. Not sure which
>> package/update exactly rewrote xorg.conf, but it DID backup the original
>>   luckily so I was back on track in notime.
>>
>> man xorg.conf can also help you find out about xorg configuration.
>
> Thanks for that. I'll look into it after the meeting I'm about to go
> to.

Looking at a Ubuntu 4 box of mine:

,----[ Output ]
| roy@dialup:/etc/X11 $ ls
| app-defaults             rstart            xinit       Xsession.options
| cursors                  sysconfig         xkb         xsm
| default-display-manager  X                 Xresources  Xwrapper.config
| fonts                    XF86Config-4      xserver
| gdm                      XF86Config-4~     Xsession
| rgb.txt                  XF86Config-4.bck  Xsession.d
`----

So, as you can see, there is a .bck file. Try the following commands
(assuming similar/identical filenames):

,----[ Commands ]
| cp  XF86Config-4  XF86Config-4-my-new-rotten-settings
| cp  XF86Config-4.bck  XF86Config-4
`----

Now, log out and log in again (or simple reboot) to restart X. I can't recall
how this can be done easily in GNOME (CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE in KDE). Any joy?
Just going to the screen resolution submenu /may/ suffice, without even
restarting X, but somehow I doubt it.

> I hadn't done any configuration - Ubuntu set the system up for me "out
> of the box", unlike Debian which flatly refused to recognise the I815
> chipset.
>
> It would be nice if there was a utility to back up all the
> configuration files - it seems at the moment I have to find each one
> separately and copy it.

All your settings files (excluding a few system (global) settings/files)
exist in your home directory. It is a good habit to keep (dump) a copy of
all your settings every now and then. In case something goes amiss, you can
revert back to the old state. I suggest you compress all your dot files,
which contain application/module-specific settings:

,----[ Command ]
| zip -r -9 ~/mysettings-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.zip ~/.[0-z]*
`----

or

,----[ Command ]
| tar czvf ~/mysettings-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.tar.gz ~/.[0-z]*
`----

Hope it helps and good luck,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Data lacking semantics is currency in an island
  6:30pm  up 11 days  1:27,  9 users,  load average: 0.68, 0.60, 0.71