Re: Linux Books: Free as in Free Beer

__/ [ Mathew P. ] on Monday 08 May 2006 00:19 \__

> On 2006-05-07, Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>> __/ [ George Ellison (undercover) ] on Sunday 07 May 2006 14:41 \__

>>> I have nothing but the utmost pity for anyone who needs a friggin book
>>> to 'get up to speed' with Linspire. It's pretty much point-n-shoot.
>>
>> That's just what I tell my mom about Thunderbird, but she never wants to
>> /explore/ an application unless  she has a soft cover book at hand, from
>> which she can learn step-by-step.  It is something to do with antiquated
>> notions and mental barriers.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Roy
>
> The "video professor" attitude?

That  may  work as well. There are many instructional videos nowadays  and
you  can get them (/stream/ them rather) from MySpace/YouTube/Google Video
free of charge. Here are a few for Linux:

        http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=linux+tutorial

These   videos  rid one from the need to have a professional nearby.  This
makes  everyone happy, apart from those who seek tutors because they crave
physical,  face-to-face interaction. One should abbreviate a new statement
perhaps:  WTFV! (Watch The Fine Video, where the "F" doesn't /necessarily/
stand for "Fine").

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    chmod a-r *.mboxa
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  4:50am  up 10 days 11:47,  7 users,  load average: 0.38, 0.44, 0.45