Re: Linux Books: Free as in Free Beer

__/ [ George Ellison (undercover) ] on Sunday 07 May 2006 14:41 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Pictorial desktop Linux books available for free download
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Book publisher In Pictures announced this week that it has added new
>> | how-to books on desktop Linux (Linspire Five-O), and the four
>> | OpenOffice.org programs (Base, Calc, Impress, Writer) to its catalog.
>> | The books are all designed for new and relatively new users.
>> |
>> | "They're part of our new In Pictures series, computer how-to books based
>> | on pictures, not text," In Pictures spokesman Chris Charuhas told
>> | DesktopLinux.com. "Most computer books contain 50,000 to 100,000 words,
>> | but these contain only 5,000 or so. They're great for bringing newbies
>> | up to speed."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6203677543.html
>>
>> Note: screen-quality PDF is free, print-quality (27MB) is not.
>
> I have nothing but the utmost pity for anyone who needs a friggin book
> to 'get up to speed' with Linspire. It's pretty much point-n-shoot.

That's just what I tell my mom about Thunderbird, but she never wants to
/explore/ an application unless  she has a soft cover book at hand, from
which she can learn step-by-step.  It is something to do with antiquated
notions and mental barriers.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Billigator: eats your filesystem alive
  2:45pm  up 9 days 21:42,  12 users,  load average: 0.71, 0.87, 0.93