Re: [News] Bush Bashes Microsoft

  • Subject: Re: [News] Bush Bashes Microsoft
  • From: "Mathew P." <Mathew@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 23:40:14 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

On 2006-05-06, Erik Funkenbusch spake thusly:
> On Sat, 06 May 2006 18:06:39 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Not really, but notice the choice of words:
>>
>> By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer  15 minutes ago
>>
>> STILLWATER, Okla. - President Bush advised college graduates on Saturday to
>> use technology but not become enslaved by it.
>>                               ^^^^^^^^
>>
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060506/ap_on_re_us/bush_commencement
>
> It's clear that Bush is afraid of technology.  I hear he has an iPod, but
> he seems so afraid of "Man/Animal Hybrids" and "being enslaved by
> technology".  It seems he must spend all his time watching old episodes of
> Mystery Science Theater 3000... He just doesn't understand the humor.

Eric, I'm not sure why you make such claims about the President, and
misrepresent what he said in such a blatant way. If you don't like
him and/or his politics, then say so, and stand behind it. If you voted
for him, and now wish you hadn't, you will have to come to terms with that
yourself. If you didn't vote at all - you have no basis to say anything about
him one way or another.

We have heard your opinion and interpretation of what he said. Now, here
is what he *actually* said:

"Science offers the prospect of eventual cures for terrible diseases and
temptations to manipulate life and violate human  dignity,"  Bush said
during commencement exercises at Oklahoma State University. "With the Internet,
you can communicate instantly with someone halfway across the world and isolate
yourself from your family and your neighbors."

The nation's young generation will wrestle to resolve these dilemmas, he said.

"My advice: Harness the promise of technology without becoming slaves to technology.
My advice is that science serves the cause of humanity and not the other way around,"
the president said.

These are not the words of a man who is afraid of science. These are the
words of a man who is thoughtful about it.

regards,

Mathew