Re: VmWare Config Tweaking!

  • Subject: Re: VmWare Config Tweaking!
  • From: "Mathew P." <Mathew@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 10:12:47 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

On 2006-05-06, Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:

 ---------------------8<-----------------

> I don't care much for "X-No-Archive:". It's rarely honoured and it can only
> break flow of discussions at best, if not annoy readers at worse
> circumstances. If you (not *you* as in *you*) have something to say, stand
> behind. When you don't stand behind it or when you post anonymously, you
> become dangerous. You have no mouth restraints.

No-archive is useful, and in a moment, I'll expand on why.

It's not that I don't stand behind what I post, I do. And It has nothing to
do with attempting to remain anonymous. For instance, I don't use my full name
here, but that has to do with increased safety on the net, not the freedom to
post tripe without consequences. I'm not sure how a poster who dosen't stand
behind what he/she posts, makes them dangerous. You may have to suffer fools,
but who dosen't? Yelling "fire" in a packed theatre makes you dangerous.
Anonymously posting may be annoying, even amusing at times, but it isn't
dangerous I mean, assuming the topic of discussion isn't how to fabricate
an AK-47 in your basement. In that case, I suspect the ATF would have something
to say about it (have you ever wondered what alcohol, tobacco, and firearms have
in common?) :-) the reader has the choice to read it, not read it, or kill file
the author. As for mouth restraints, that, my friend, has nothing to do with whether
or not you don't archive in google. It has to do with two things:

1) The target audience, and the desired effect the poster is trying to
achieve with them

and:

2) The integrity of the poster, integrity being what you do when nobody is
watching (in this case everybody is watching, but nobody knows who you are).

As for the usefullness of No-archive: I have discovered that google has
a very jacked up display and threading mechanism for groups. This
can make the reading of a group and a thread quite difficult, and attribution,
next to impossible, because of the wierd way messages are displayed. In
addition, full unmodified headers are not available, leaving the door open
to a troll rich environment.

I discovered this one day when I decided to look myself up in google groups
for giggles. The first entry (a rather old thread) was actually made up of
several earlier quoted segments, which google dosen't (or at the time didn't)
properly identify as such. So the result was, that even though in reality I
was being insulted, it appeared to the casual reader that I was making disparaging
remarks about the groups sexual preferances.

If the X-No-Archive header is set, messages are available for normal use on google
for a limited time (I think it's 18 days) after which they are (I imagine, qued
to be) removed from the system, rather than archived. So There is still ample
time to read and respond to them at which point they will become a (more or less)
permanent part of usenet history. I applaud Google for having the courtesy
to honor the wishes of individual posters in regards to whether or not
they want to have thier posts stored away in the google data vaults, for ever,
and ever, amen.

>> One of the things I like (among many) about SLRN is the scorefile. One
>> can practically filter whether to serve caff or decaff. Although there
>> is a way to kill all crossposted threads and/or crossposting authors,
>> I accidentally messed up my score file implementing it and had to go
>> back to the back up score file.
>

> You are doing it the hard way (or so it seems). It's rather simple yet
> powerful in KNode.

Actually not. SLRN's score facility is incredibly powerful and versatile.
I just haven't learned how to properly take full advantage of it yet. As with
anything worth doing (like using Linux), some time has to be invested in the
learning curve.

As for Knode, well, not to nay say, but I have not had good luck with it.
I've really tried to use it, and it has a good format visually, and
(in theory), functionally, but it is one of the only OSS programs I have
ever used that consistently falls on it's face. I would say it's just my
installation or a bad config file or the like, except that I have heard
many other people report the same kinds of problems I had, before I gave
up and went to pan (in my pre-SLRN days).

>> At any rate, I periodically agonize over whether or not to plonk all
>> incoming google posts. I haven't done it yet, because we do get some
>> good stuff from google to offset the flotsam. I also have a big push
>> button on my forehead that says "push here if you are a cross posting
>> cretin". Ok, so in my jaded, misspent youth, in moments of weakness, I have
>> crossposted a *rare* message to *one* other group. As Eric says: My bad.
>

> On the subject of Google Groups posts, I colour them in blue.

I did essentially the same thing by telling SLRN to include the organization
and message id headers in the default header view. These headers always
have Google.com in them if that's in the message path. Or at least, I have
found this to be the case so far.

> I am at least
> aware which messages are less likely to be replied to, where I am least
> likely to get a "thank you" (in technical groups) and where no attribution
> (quote) will be included in the response.

I understand completely.

> Also see:
>
>         http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
>
>         The Usenet Improvement Project (Google Groups in particular)

Great link! Thanks.

>> No more. When I go to post, and SLRN asks me if I want to post to all,
>> just this group, etc. I sometimes continue with the post, but more often
>> than not, cancel the post (since I always forget to look at the header
>> group line).
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mathew
>

> When items get crossposted, KNode reduces followups to just the first group
> by default. In that respect, KNode is very netiquette-aware.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Roy

Regards,

Mathew