Re: Yet another hotsync problem

  • Subject: Re: Yet another hotsync problem
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 11:09:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
__/ [ ImageAnalyst ] on Saturday 06 May 2006 04:07 \__

> __/ [ WillofIrony ] on Monday 17 April 2006 23:38 \__
>
> > My wife and I have been using Tungsten T3s for some time. My wife
> > Hotsyncing with our elderly desktop without any problems while I
> > hotsynced with my laptop with trouble free results.
> >
> > I have just upgraded the Desktop to an Athlon 3800 system from HP. When
> > I installed the Palm desktop, the installation asked me to hotsync a
> > device. I had given it my wife's PDA's hotsync identity and it began to
> > hotsync - though it did ask the question (something like) "This PC is
> > not your primary hotsync computer, would you like to make it so?" - I
> > answered "yes".
> >
> > The sync started as one might expect until the hotsyncing of Calendar
> > began. Both the PC and the T3 hung up - the T3 had to have a soft reset
> > to regain control and Hotsync on the PC would only stop with the aid of
> > Task Manager (which it resisted stubbornly).

This seems like a common experience, which most probably indicates a problem
with the desktop. What happens if you press cancel on the Palm as to halt
the synching process? Must you reset it? Bear in mind that if you cancel, it
might take a few minutes to reverse the process and for the Palm to fully
respond.

> > Uninstalling palm desktop and repeating the process ended in the same
> > result (though I did notice that when Palm desktop uninstalls, it
> > leaves a lot of stuff in the registry). ...

Yes, this may be fine, but it's a general deficiency of the operating system,
which in due time leads to bloat and slowless. The merit might sometimes be
the ability to recall old settings.

> > ...I did try hotsyncing my device
> > and was impressed with the fact that Hotsync found my laptop on the
> > network and diverted the sync to there - unfortunately the process hung
> > up once again - this time when syncing documents.

This may indicate that the problem on the desktop side (if true) may have its
roots deeper than Palm Desktop. I wonder if something interferes with the
communication port. How hard does the computer work when the process is
obstructed? Is it merely waiting for input or is it working like mad as it's
stuck in some infinite loop? Is it said to be "not responding". What does
Take Manager indicate?

> > My old desktop is a Win 98 SE system and the new one is an XP Media
> > centre SP2 system.
> >
> > Has anybody come across this problem before and found a solution?

Try to follow questions and suggestions above to troubleshoot and identify
the source of this problem. The culprit may be pretty much anything based on
the general description.

> > Regards and thanks in anticipation,
> >
> > Michael
> >
> > If you can keep your head,
> > while all about you are losing theirs,
> > Then you have totally underestimated the situation.
>
> On occasion I have hotsyncing problems when it gets to the calendar.  i
> can't remember if it hangs or eventually gives an error message.  The
> way I fix it is to launch Palm Desktop and do Tools / Add-ins / Delete
> Duplicates.  If I had trouble syncing the calendar, I will find
> duplicates.  For some reason, this causes the problem, and telling it
> to delete one of the copies (duplicates) will let it finish syncing
> with no problems.  Write back with your results.

Additionally, try disabling conduits in HotSync manager (it is configurable,
find it in the system tray). Add them gradually until you can pinpoint the
issue. Start from a situation wherein you can at least complete a
synchronisation.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    /earth: file system full
 11:00am  up 8 days 17:57,  13 users,  load average: 1.01, 1.08, 0.79