Re: Linux = Strong; Microsoft = Soft

  • Subject: Re: Linux = Strong; Microsoft = Soft
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 05:09:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Friday 05 May 2006 20:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, dapunka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <dapunka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on 5 May 2006 10:44:00 -0700
> <1146851040.523995.250790@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Some real photos from Japan. Linux is a hard-core washing detergent,
>>> whereas Windows is a softener.
>>>
>>>         http://pya.cc/pyaimg/pimg.php?imgid=3944
>>>
>>> You have got to see it to believe it...
>>
>> Heh!
>>
>> I don't understand Japanese; but looking at the pics, they were
>> obviously taken in a European country.

You're right. This 'Flash and pictures' contest took place in Japan, but the
origins of the 'art' is diverse.

> Linux Detergent is manufactured in Switzerland by Rösch:
>
> http://www.roesch-swiss.ch/
>
> I don't know what their position on the Linux OS is but I
> somehow doubt they mind the free publicity. :-)  There's
> not all that much risk of trademark confusion.

I think there was some court case or a litigious situation in Australia over
ownership of the 'Linux trademark'. It was a hot topic about 6 months ago.

> It would appear that they have a rather dark sense of
> humor, since they're also manufacturing the micro&soft
> softener, judging from the above picture.

Since it comes from Switzerland, I would have expected a name like Migrosoft.
Migro is a very big chain over there; and it's country-wide. They have
detergents too...

> One can also look both up on their website:
>
> http://www.roesch-swiss.ch/?id=1142&cat_id=26
> http://www.roesch-swiss.ch/?id=1142&cat_id=19
>
> (Blond in blue not included. :-) )

I don't see any blonds in blue (my loss). However, I can see a blocked Flash
component. Good work finding all of this out.

It remains a nice analogy. Linux is the detergent doing all the tough work
reliably whereas Micro&soft provide a mere toy to add some final touches.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Microsof(fshore)t Window(ntime)s Vista(gnating)
  5:00am  up 8 days 11:57,  12 users,  load average: 0.52, 0.62, 0.88