Re: Recommend Linux-Based Inventory Control Software?

  • Subject: Re: Recommend Linux-Based Inventory Control Software?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 10:04:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
__/ [ Dick Kistler ] on Thursday 11 May 2006 23:38 \__

> "Alfred" <99m@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Can anyone recommend some Linux-based inventory control software? I
>> don't want to, yet again, support another Windows server to host such
>> software because I find it far easier to manage my SLES9 systems than
>> my Windows systems, and I have a far easier time at security audit time
>> as well.
>>
>> I guess it would have to be web-based, right?
>>
>> We have a mix of Windows and Linux. Want to be all Linux, but oh well.
>> I just work here.
>>
>> I'm going to have to get a barcoder to integrate with this.
>>
>> Much appreciated for your advice!
>>

> Something here: http://linuxfinances.info/info/finances.html maybe

I   suppose   a  Web-based  tool  would  serve  you  well  and   also   be
platform-independent.  I  am  not  sure  how well  this  would  work  with
barcodes, which have to integrate with the software over the network (make
sure  they  are not bound to software vendors or hardware  manufacturers).
When  you  said "inventory", my initial thought was  "personal  inventory"
(i.e.       something      that      a      simple      spreadsheet      <
http://freshmeat.net/projects/phpwebsheet/  >  can cater for).  There  are
various  financial packages that contain an inventory module. I hear  good
things about < http://www.sql-ledger.org/ >, but I have no experience with
it. Explore the link which Dick has added.

Best of wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  9:55am  up 14 days 16:52,  9 users,  load average: 0.26, 0.42, 0.36