Re: [News] Ballmer: Microsoft to Focus on Linux Competition

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Friday 12 May 2006 08:38 \__

http://www.informationweek.com/industries/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=187202415

>> [1] http://www.redhat.com/truthhappens/
>
> I like that post a lot Roy, you have the MS approach 'spit snarl grrrrr'.

Thanks. *smile*

> Then the Redhat approach 'We don't have to sell it, we just have to show it
> off and let technology speak for itself.'.
>
> When you think about it, it really does boil down to that. Consider the
> adverts we see for Linux, mainly in places where those already attracted to
> the world of Linux will find them, not pushy, not boastful, just factual.
> If you want to find Linux you can find it, but no one is shoving it into
> your faces.

The most damaging thing is the RTFM attitude, in my humble opinion.

> Then the MS adverts, everywhere you look, and always in the form of 'We are
> the great I Am and everyone else is the spawn of the devil.'.
>
> I keep wondering about Ballmer, whether he is really there just to divert
> the flack from Gates. The number of the daft things he says, they can't all
> be accidental.

As a mere observation, as the man speaks, the stock continues to tumble[1].
It most certainly means something. I betcha 50 quid it will slide below $20
before the end of Q3.

[1] http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/screenshots/msft-may-11.jpg