Re: media players

  • Subject: Re: media players
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 07:25:39 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.net.web.authoring
__/ [ Spartanicus ] on Thursday 11 May 2006 01:16 \__

> "Del" <del@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Does anybody know of a way to instruct a browser to open an anchored mp3
>>etc with the *OS's* default media player or others?
>>
>>I have purposely left FFx in all it's defaults (Quicktime) and it stinks
>>because in this case I want to trigger an external player rather than a
>>grey page with nothing but a tiny timeline bar.
>
> Configure your browser to use your preferred application.

Yes, all it depends on are the web browser settings. The *user* is in charge
and the Web browser gives the user all that much-needed control. Firefox
also permits to download rather than open as the default action for a
filetype, without prompting the user. That's how I handle MP3's, for
example.

>>Flash need to resolve an ultimate audio function for their player, then
>>they will rule the roost.
>
> Using any optional technology to do something essential is fundamentally
> flawed.

I fully agree. Flash seems to be a good solution (e.g. YouTube, Google Video)
when you want to *restrict* (or at least attempt to do so) use of the media
which you make available. Other formats for media, such Windows Media Player
files (notably WMA and WMV) and RealPlayer (Real Streams) provide similar
'solutions'. It's just one step away from full DRM.

best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  7:20am  up 13 days 14:17,  8 users,  load average: 0.34, 0.45, 0.47