Re: Google Trends

__/ [ Doc O'Leary ] on Sunday 14 May 2006 21:00 \__

> In article <13679286.5VkfHnYOC5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Doc O'Leary ] on Saturday 13 May 2006 23:18 \__
>>
>> > No, it isn't.  Again, you haven't even bothered to look at the evidence
>> > before posting.  The biggest completion results I see for "mac " is 15
>> > million, but "mac help" completes at over 25 million and is not in that
>> > initial listing.  Suggest is just plain broken, and it is a mistake to
>> > recommend it over Trends at this point.
>>
>> No, it is just **well** out-of-date. See my previous message. I have been
>> watching the numbers carefully for over a year (it's a script). No
>> changes.
>
> What part of 25 > 15 don't you understand?  Whatever the algorithm
> Suggest uses, it is not the one you seem to think.  That those numbers
> are *also* outdated is just another reason not to use Suggest seriously.

No  need to get hostile. I am very calm over here, but the word convey  no
warmth  (being  pure  text). I fully agree that Google Suggest  is  rarely
helpful  and I no longer use it. The suggestion are more of a  distraction
and  a hindrance (bloat) and they rarely complement the process which  the
searcher  understakes.  As  for "search_term1  search_term2"  having  more
results  than "search_term1", I have seen it before. It's a Google oddity,
which is somewhat normal, yet by no means predictable. *smile*

With kind regards,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  6:15am  up 17 days 13:12,  11 users,  load average: 0.68, 0.92, 0.95