Re: So where would your money go?

  • Subject: Re: So where would your money go?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 07:22:14 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ TheLetterK ] on Monday 15 May 2006 01:00 \__

> On Sun, 14 May 2006 13:10:58 -0700, Paul Welsh wrote:
>
>> There are several publicly quoted companies producing a Linux distro.
>> I guess Red Hat is the most widely known of them.  The others I can
>> think of are Mandriva and Novell, though of course SUSE is only a small
>> part of Novell's product offerings and, presumably, revenue stream.
>>
>> In the last year I see Red Hat's share price is up by around 140%,
>> Novell's is up 35% and Mandriva's is down 40%.

They  fluctuate  quite wildly and I would never count on them.  I  believe
that  my  father  held Novell when it hovered around $4 and he  only  lost
money on it. Ironically, Intel and Microsoft are  where he made  a fortune
before the bubble went 'ka-boom'.

>> So it seems that Red Hat is the rising star.  If you had some money to
>> invest in one of these companies for the long term (10 years plus)
>> which would it be?
>
> I wouldn't. Though if I had some excess money, I'd probably donate to
> Debian.

I'd   go  with  K  on  that  one.  I  don't  believe  that   business-type
distributions  will necessarily rise above the more community-based  ones.
They  may  be  doing  fine  in terms of contracts,  but  many  Novell  top
executives  (three,  I  believe) left the company to  join  smaller  (thus
cheaper, but nonetheless prestigious) Linux vendors/incubators.

>> Does anyone know whether Ubuntu intends going public

They  proclaimed  some intent to have a  business-targetted  distribution.
Mark  Shuttleworth has got a whole foundation/network going around Ubuntu,
so who can tell? If you asked me, I'd say it's likely. And, mind you, they
have an excellent and versatile distribution with a healthy community.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Falsity implies anything
  7:15am  up 17 days 14:12,  11 users,  load average: 1.02, 0.90, 0.71