Re: Microsoft Set to Stone Self

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Sunday 14 May 2006 15:50 \__
>

> > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> >> In this new fight against piracy, Microsoft have delivered a rock:
> >>
> >>         http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31436
> >>
> >> Let us wish them the best of luck...
> >>

> http://www.infopackets.com/channels/en/windows/gazette/2006/20060429_how_piracy_helps_microsoft_make_billions.htm
> >>
> >>         How Piracy Helps Microsoft Make Billions
> >>

> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-micropiracy9apr09,0,414067.story?track=tottext
> >>
> >>         How Piracy Opens Doors for Windows
> >

> > -> How Piracy Helps Microsoft Make Billions
> > -> How Piracy Opens Doors for Windows
> >
> > How does this even remotely have anything to do with Linux?
> > How come you keep posting this Off Topic crap?
>
> It  should  be crystal clear if you think laterally. Think about the  "Why
> OpenOffice"  campaign. Among the keys to GNU/Linux and OSS adoption is the
> enforcement  of  licenses  and  battles against piracy.  Take  Office  and
> Photoshop  from Joe Average (or, contrariwise, charge him for it) and  see
> what happens.

> Now,  Larry,  if you don't like the [news]-tagged items, then kill me,
> or kill them. That's what the killfile is for.

I'm not big into killfiles. (You're not that lucky!<g>) Killfile is the
cowardly way out of not reading/seeing what you're afraid to see IMO. I
generally like reading most of your posts anyway. I usually find a
dissenting opinion more interesting than someone who echos what I have
to say.

> If you incentives for presence
> in  this  group  are  adverse to Linux advocacy  (positivy  or  negatively
> approached), then you are in the wrong place. This is definitely on topic,
> having re-iterated the point which revolves around /cost/ of S/W. It is no
> longer very bendable.

Here's my response to this and to your first paragraph. I think that
"everything really is on-topic" is a disingenuous excuse and I don't
know why you don't have the integrity to simply say that you hate
Microsoft and enjoy bashing them every chance you can. It's no big
deal. But don't try and disguise this as having some sort of relevancy
towards Linux. The [news] where MS is giving their developers a bonus
to fix Vista bugs is related to Linux how again?

This 6-degrees of separation can be applied to anything.... I suppose
'Farming' is on-topic because Linux developers eat. Astronomy is
on-topic because Linux developers live in the solar system. If you were
sincere in your claim that you post these stories because they are
Linux related then there are plenty of other stories that are much more
on-topic than "MS releases a bad patch." I suspect that these [news]
stories never get posted here because they aren't disparaging enough to
MS, even though they are related to Linux.