Re: Good News from the LUG

It was on Sat, 20 May 2006 11:04:06 +0100 when Roy Schestowitz posted
this:

> __/ [ William Poaster ] on Saturday 20 May 2006 10:57 \__
>
>> It was on Sat, 20 May 2006 05:53:57 +0100 when Roy Schestowitz posted
>> this:
>> [Please Note: These messages were originally posted in a Usenet
>> newsgroup, which has *nothing* to do with www.jlaforums.com. They hijack
>> usenet newsgroup posts & mislead the public into thinking the posts come
>> from their own forums. I am NOT a "Guest" of jlaforums, as I am banned
>> from their site.]
>>

>>> This comes from one who has been with Linux since day one, so he should
>>> know.
>>>
>>> Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 20:03:27 +0100 (BST) [19 May 2006 20:03:27 BST]
>>> From: Ted.Harding@[snip]
>>> To: linux-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, main@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject:
>>> [linux-users] Good news from MS!!
>>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>>   "Microsoft has released 'minimum' and 'recommended'
>>>    specifications for Vista.
>>>
>>>    The minimum means that the operating system will run but some new
>>>    features will be disabled. Recommended means that this is what is
>>>    needed to get the most basic configuration of the whole package
>>>    working.
>>>
>>>    VISTA HARDWARE CHECKLIST
>>>                             Minimum           Recommended
>>>    Processor                800MHz            1GHz 32 or 64 bit System
>>>    Memory            512MB             1GB Graphics card DirectX 9
>>>    capable Runs Windows Aero Graphics Memory          - -
>>>           128MB Free space on Hard Drive 15GB              15GB
>>>
>>>    Source: Microsoft"
>>>

>>> Well, that's good news! If Vista catches on, there should be a good bit
>>> of decent kit coming cheap onto the secondhand market that would run
>>> Linux very nicely. Looking forward to that!
>>>
>>> Best wishes to all,
>>> Ted.
>>
>> Yes, indeed! I'll be keeping an eye out for decent kit, chucked out by
>> the "must-have-latest" winluvvies. Thanks for the info, Roy. ;-)
>
> You could soon get some good gear at a very low cost, in _retail scale_
> which makes it worthwhile. For instance, universities gets rid of 1GHz
> Intels and gives you a cluster of 100 workstations to become Web servers
> at 50 quid a piece. Or... University could upgrade to Linux, which is the
> better upgrade [2], rather than narrow-mindedly choose Vista (the worse
> 'upgrade'). This would save the money otherwise spent on new hardware.

[2] is the better upgrade, & it surely would save money.

> It wasn't so long ago that the clusters here were emptied from some very
> modern Dells (some thrown at my old office [1]), which supposedly could
> not handle an extensive Windows XP image with large document (e.g. 100+
> pages) in resource pigs like Word.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Roy
>
> [1]http://www.schestowitz.com/Family_Photos/Webcam/2005/07/15072005/images.html
>
> [2]http://digg.com/linux_unix/How_Linux_is_getting_very_close_to_mass_adoption
>
> Snippet: "So all in all the Ubuntu beta is ahead of Vista right now."

Interesting, thanks for the links.
As an afterthought; apart from a lot of reasonable gear for desktops,
there could be quite a few laptops/notebooks being sold off too, as people
either find that their newly bought Fista won't work on them, or they've
bought new ones with Fista already installed. A wipe, & installation of a
linux distro would extend it's life. I'm not saying it would work on all
laptops, but would on some...

--
www.jlaforums.com steals usenet newsgroup posts, & misleads the public
into thinking the posts come from their own forums. THEY DON'T!