Re: Good News from the LUG

__/ [ William Poaster ] on Saturday 20 May 2006 10:57 \__

> It was on Sat, 20 May 2006 05:53:57 +0100 when Roy Schestowitz posted
> this:
> [Please Note: These messages were originally posted in a Usenet newsgroup,
> which has *nothing* to do with www.jlaforums.com. They hijack usenet
> newsgroup posts & mislead the public into thinking the posts come from
> their own forums. I am NOT a "Guest" of jlaforums, as I am banned from
> their site.]
>

>> This comes from one who has been with Linux since day one, so he should
>> know.
>>
>> Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 20:03:27 +0100 (BST) [19 May 2006 20:03:27 BST]
>> From: Ted.Harding@[snip]
>> To: linux-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, main@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject:
>> [linux-users] Good news from MS!!
>>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>>   "Microsoft has released 'minimum' and 'recommended'
>>    specifications for Vista.
>>
>>    The minimum means that the operating system will run but some new
>>    features will be disabled. Recommended means that this is what is
>>    needed to get the most basic configuration of the whole package
>>    working.
>>
>>    VISTA HARDWARE CHECKLIST
>>                             Minimum           Recommended
>>    Processor                800MHz            1GHz 32 or 64 bit System
>>    Memory            512MB             1GB Graphics card
>>    DirectX 9 capable Runs Windows Aero Graphics Memory          - -
>>           128MB Free space on Hard Drive 15GB              15GB
>>
>>    Source: Microsoft"
>>

>> Well, that's good news! If Vista catches on, there should be a good bit of
>> decent kit coming cheap onto the secondhand market that would run Linux
>> very nicely. Looking forward to that!
>>
>> Best wishes to all,
>> Ted.
>
> Yes, indeed! I'll be keeping an eye out for decent kit, chucked out by
> the "must-have-latest" winluvvies. Thanks for the info, Roy. ;-)

You could soon get some good gear at a very low cost, in _retail scale_ which
makes it worthwhile. For instance, universities gets rid of 1GHz Intels and
gives you a cluster of 100 workstations to become Web servers at 50 quid a
piece. Or... University could upgrade to Linux, which is the better upgrade
[2], rather than narrow-mindedly choose Vista (the worse 'upgrade'). This
would save the money otherwise spent on new hardware.

It wasn't so long ago that the clusters here were emptied from some very
modern Dells (some thrown at my old office [1]), which supposedly could not
handle an extensive Windows XP image with large document (e.g. 100+ pages)
in resource pigs like Word.

Best wishes,

Roy

[1]http://www.schestowitz.com/Family_Photos/Webcam/2005/07/15072005/images.html

[2]http://digg.com/linux_unix/How_Linux_is_getting_very_close_to_mass_adoption

Snippet: "So all in all the Ubuntu beta is ahead of Vista right now."