Re: Neuros CEO: Apple "Device Model" will Lose to Openness

  • Subject: Re: Neuros CEO: Apple "Device Model" will Lose to Openness
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 19 May 2006 09:04:28 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I predict that once we launch our new genuinely open devices, consumers
> | will very quickly see the value they bring. I'm not talking about
> | "techies" or geeks but ordinary folks. As the device evolves and
> | functionality increases and improves over time, you get a device
> | that's much more valuable. Who would want to be stuck with a static
> | device that can't be changed or customized if the market offers them
> | an alternative?
> |
> | I believe that the "device model" is only winning because no
> | "component model" or genuinely open devices have been offered yet.
> `----
>
>                         http://open.neurostechnology.com/node/241

I don't get the point he's trying to make at all. It would have been
useful if he gave at least one example of this "component model" device
he's talking about.

I have a PDA and it has a SD (secure digital) slot for upgrading the
memory and a PCMCIA slot. I can plug in anything from a Garmin GPS
receiver to a wired NIC into the PCMCIA slot. It's a snap to remove the
battery and replace it with various other models. On the software side
I can upgrade the OS and/or the apps when needed. What is he talking
about; Being able to remove and update the PDA's display?

Again, perhaps if he gave one specific example of what this device
would be I might agree. But all he does is talk about some mythical
component-model device that consumers will love because it's open and
expandable. It doesn't sound like he's talking about an actual device
here... it sounds like some theory of his.