Re: [News] Hewlett-Packard Say Linux "Not Smart for VENDORS"

  • Subject: Re: [News] Hewlett-Packard Say Linux "Not Smart for VENDORS"
  • From: "billwg" <billw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 12:26:56 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
news:2178835.pUsGIJ3P3h@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> HP exec on navigating the open-source waters
>
> http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1861543635;fp;2;fpid;4
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> |
> | Question:
> |
> |       HP sells PCs installed with Mandriva Linux in Latin America.
> When could
> | we start seeing such Linux desktops elsewhere?
> |
> | HP exec:
> |
> |       We could do that anytime. We do certify Novell on our
> desktops. We
> | don't ship desktops with Linux now because the market is not big
> enough or
> | cohesive enough from a worldwide perspective. We watch it closely,
> though,
> | as does the Personal Systems Group [PSG]. Our regional groups have
> the
> | freedom to work more locally if a customer wants it. So we do
> Mandriva
> | in France and Brazil, and Ubuntu in South Africa. If there is big
> | interest when SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 from Novell is
> released,
> | the PSG can turn on a dime and offer it pretty quickly worldwide.
> |
> | I've heard, though, that OEMs are reluctant to install Linux because
> they
> | get such great marketing dollars and softer incentives such as
> support
> | from Microsoft when they install Windows. Also, Linux doesn't have a
> | track record of adding new features and making the PC hardware
> obsolete
> | every three years like Windows. So in the long run, supporting Linux
> is
> | not smart for the PC vendors.
> `----
>
> So, it's a matter of _finance_, *NOT* the quality of Linux as an O/S.

Not at all, roy boy!  You conveniently leave out the rest of the quote:

"I'm not sure I would agree with that. Certainly, Microsoft is big
player in this space and a big partner of ours for desktops and there
are incentives that come with that. But we made the investment to put
Linux on a level playing field in the server space. I would assume that
when the global market is more there for us to jump more deeply into
Linux on the desktop, we would do it -- making that same investment, so
it would become a real choice for our customers."

So it is  really a matter of the global market forming, which will never
happen.  Roy is being dishonest.