Re: Lost my newsgroups

  • Subject: Re: Lost my newsgroups
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 09:47:29 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ pecan ] on Thursday 18 May 2006 20:36 \__

Hi,

> "John Bokma" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> "pecan" <pecan.NOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > I went away, and when I got back I found I'd lost my newsgroups.
>> > This means that I haven't received any of the responses I was waiting
>> > for and I'm peed off.  Can someone tell me how to find them please? Or
>> > how to get them back into my OE.  The file is there, but OE isn't
>> > reading it - somehow my settings seem to have been corrupted.

I suggest you see a thread subject-lined "Outlook Express..." in
alt.os.windows.xp. It was posted a few days ago and there are commonalities
perhaps. OE, in general, is not most reliable for information storage,
portability and settings generalisation, which are stored in proprietary
form rather than something generic or standard like a directory structure or
XML.

>> You might want to switch to Xnews or another news reader anyway. Here,
>> Xnews is able to load old headers and articles. You can always use
>> Google Groups to look back in time.

I hear splendid things about XNews, but John once said that he wanted to
'relocate'. Consider posting a question in news.software.readers. The folks
there would be helpful.

>> For OE, unsubscribing and then subscribing might fix the issue. In the
>> past I used to delete some files (mbx, idx), but I haven't been using OE
>> for ages, so I can't advice on that point. I know that OE has that
>> problem when it crashes, or your computer suddenly turns off.

Inconsistencies or management in RAM rather than disk, I guess. Never happens
with KNode, which you know I always advocate. *wink* In KDE, as in GNU,
everything is a file^tm.

> Thanks,  I'll try it out.  I've tried everything else with OE.  It's
> probably my fault I lost it... was copying only certain files to the laptop
> for going away, and must have left off something vital.
> Sigh.

Best of luck,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    It is no longer uncommon to be uncommon
  9:40am  up 21 days 16:37,  10 users,  load average: 0.21, 0.33, 0.43