Re: one ubuntu

  • Subject: Re: one ubuntu
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 12:41:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Jim ] on Thursday 18 May 2006 11:24 \__

> chuspy wrote:
>> "Jim" <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>>it's under System Settings. Or under terminal type *kcontrol* then go to
>>>Peripherals -> Display. You can save the config to a floppy disk or flash
>>>drive. Unless of course, you opt for a hard disk installation, in which
>>>case you don't have to worry about where you put that darn flash drive...
>>>

>> Thing is that I can't start gui, i can her sount of booting but no gui.
>> Another thing, can I save that to flash card (ahve 64mb flash card and usb
>> card reader)
>>

> if you can't start GUI try:
> apt-get install x-window-system kde kdm
> at the console. This should reset the X server configuration, which you
> can then either run xf86cfg (or whatever it is this week) to configure
> the desktop resolution/chipset/etc, or manually edit the configuration
> file.
>
> Saving to flash: if your system can "see" the device, mount it, and if
> you can change r/w mode to writeable, then you can save your config
> files to it. Be that floppy, usb flash pen, ipod, or cardreader.

Ubuntu display issues used to be common. In version 4, they had me 'wrestle'
for the highest resolution. I am not surprised that you still have some with
version 5 (6 is on it's way, just wait a fortnight).

One thing to do is check video settings in your BIOS. In some machines, these
need to be changed. Just be careful. More usefully, you may find the
following discussion helpful:

http://www.schestowitz.com/UseNet/2005/August_2005_1/msg00139.html

You may also wish to use a Web-based tool called Cola (not COLA)
Modeline-Generator.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux + tax = Mac OS = (Windows - functionality)
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 12:35pm  up 20 days 19:32,  9 users,  load average: 0.45, 0.58, 0.55