Re: [News] PlayStation 3 to Permit Homebrew Linux Contributions

  • Subject: Re: [News] PlayStation 3 to Permit Homebrew Linux Contributions
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 09:23:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr

> Very true, but Microsoft invest a lot of money in figures-based vanity. If
> they can sell many units, they will attempt to show it. The demise of XBox
> running  games  (as  opposed to GNU/Linux) will remain quiet  for  similar
> reasons to that of Linux success stories, which are often kept in the dark
> (or  well-hidden in the server room). It's a strategic decision, primarily
> made  due to competitive advantage for Linux, whereas for Microsoft --  it
> is  the avoidance of bad PR. Better avoid the XBox family as though it was
> the plague. In some sense, it is. It might lead to melting...

If I were Microsoft, and I could show good sales figures for Xbox
consoles, I would be very happy to announce them to the world.  I would
also be happy that people are buying them for any reason, as once people
have them, the probability of them buying an Xbox game rises from zero
to something (might not be much, but it's better than zero).

While there's life, there's hope.
		-- Publius Terentius Afer (Terence)