Re: Multi-stream files on Linux?

  • Subject: Re: Multi-stream files on Linux?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 17:32:59 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Space ] on Wednesday 17 May 2006 17:22 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>  > To OP: why "improved security"?  Are you aware of security flaws &
>  > a misjudged security model in Linux?
>
> Yes, it's called "the user." ;)

So make it harder for the user (to break). Protect the user from shooting
itself in the foot. Security at the expense of ease of use has proven to be
a trade-off that can be tackled. You can restrict users depending on level
of experience or introduce the notion of user privileges (which Windows was
too late to introduce, quite artificially and improperly so).

> Seriously, I was just curious if anything was being active worked
> on.  I think there was an effort a few years back to add
> meta-data to the file system.  I can't remember the name of the
> project, and I haven't heard anything at all about it lately
> (last two years or so).

What about Beagle for some data indexing? It's included in SuSE. I know it
does not address your question directly, but also see:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7771 . You can extract meta data by
inspecting the files whenever they get added or when the system becomes
idle. The data will not bound to the filesystem (e.g. FAT) however, so it is
not easily transferable.

> Judging by some comments below, I'd say people have prejudices
> about how such meta-data would be implemented.  I'd agree that a
> file system dependant implementation wouldn't be the best.  I
> think there are other ways to implement meta-data however.

Pitfall: It will be lost upon data movemoment from one filesystem to another.
I already have this problem with a storage unit that uses NTFS. I have to
compress many files to preserve their length, case and some 'forbidden'
characters.

> Windows uses meta-data now--how else do .exe files carry an icon
> with them.

These are embedded in the files, which can be seen as executables. I have
compiled some EXE files when porting an Open Source project and included an
icon (in Visual Studio). I can assure you that the icon is preserved when
compressed or uploaded to a Linux Web server.

> I'm still looking for an answer to "What, if any, current
> projects exist?"

Are you in need of one? Or are you looking to make a start one one?

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
  5:20pm  up 20 days  0:17,  9 users,  load average: 0.21, 0.41, 0.47