Re: m500 and Linux problems

__/ [ January Weiner ] on Wednesday 17 May 2006 08:31 \__

> Dear all,
>
> I am experiencing weird behaviour of my Palm m500, which I bought recently.
> Now, the hotsync worked at a point of time a couple of times, and I have no
> idea why it stoppend working. Nothing was done to the computer system
> involved (Debian testing), it stoppend working from one minute to the
> other.
>
> Here is how it looks when I use pilot-xfer:
>

> xxxxxx:~# pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -l
>

>    Listening to port: /dev/ttyUSB0
>
>    Please press the HotSync button now... Connected
>

>    Error read system info on /dev/ttyUSB0
>
> (there is a long time before the "connected" message is displayed).
>
> Here is my dmesg log:
>
> usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 9
> visor 3-1:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter detected
> usb 3-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB0
> usb 3-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB1
> usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 9
> visor 3-1:1.0: device disconnected
> visor ttyUSB0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now disconnected from
> ttyUSB0 visor ttyUSB1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now
> disconnected from ttyUSB1
>
> Doing hard reset on the Palm device did not help.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> January

As already suggested,  try USBtty1 or,  even better, on  most  systems this
successfully defaults to /dev/pilot. Are you using no front-end to do this?
Or is the front end just spewing out no useful error message? I have  never
had Debian installed, but its derivative Ubuntu is excellent with handhelds.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
 12:00pm  up 19 days 18:57,  8 users,  load average: 0.28, 0.37, 0.35