Re: Ipod/Itunes for Linux?

  • Subject: Re: Ipod/Itunes for Linux?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 17:18:22 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
__/ [ Geoffrey Clements ] on Tuesday 16 May 2006 12:19 \__

> "Geoffrey Clements" <geoffrey.clementsNO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
> message news:4469b11e$1_1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> "Gordon" <gordon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> My son has just been given an Ipod Nano for his 21st birthday - does
>>> anyone
>>> know if there is a Linux equivalent of the Itunes software?
>>
>> Not exactly equivalent but will let you get music on the iPod : gtkpod,
>> banshee
>> For podcasts: ipodder
>>
>  oh, I forget to say that you may need HFS+ support in your kernel (I
> haven't played with a Nano so I'm not sure), either that or convert your
> iPod to another format: http://www.gnu.org/software/gnupod/gnupod.html#SEC6

AmaroK supports it and it provides a nice front end, which integrates with
your media. AmaroK comes with KDE, which I believe you are using, Gordon. I
also believe that SongBird (Proof of Ceoncept 0.2) should have some
capability as such. iPods are not as hard as people imagine when it comes to
Linux integration. Handhelds likewise. It's only hearsay that's a deterrent.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
  5:15pm  up 19 days  0:12,  8 users,  load average: 0.62, 0.53, 0.59