Re: Office 2007 Public Beta available

  • Subject: Re: Office 2007 Public Beta available
  • From: "Super Spinner" <Pepe.Smythe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 24 May 2006 02:45:59 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Jim ] on Tuesday 23 May 2006 20:41 \__
>
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >> Not trying to spam the group, but several people i've had discussions in
> >> the group with about Office 2007 commented they might try it when the
> >> public beta was available, and it now is:
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview
> >>
> >> Even if you hate Microsoft, know they enemy ;)
> >
> > meh, think I'll skip that one. I'll come across it during my travels no
> > doubt, but for me? I'll stick with openoffice.
>
> Speaking of Open, check out the following:
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft also introduces in Office 2007 a new XML-based file format--
> | Open XML--for Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Instead of seeing files with the
> | extensions.doc, .xls and .ppt, respectively, users will see .docx, .pptx
> | and .xlsx. This could be confusing and disruptive if a document in the
> | new format is sent to a user with an older version of Office.
> `----
>
>         http://www.eweek.com/article2/0%2C1895%2C1966148%2C00.asp
>
> Doesn't  the  term  "Open XML" disturb you as well? It's  the  same  shite
> (formats),  only wrapped in a tree structure. It's no RDF. The use of  the
> term  XL  is  often used in the context of openness  and  data  exchanges.
> Microsoft  try  to capitalise on buzzwords (ruining them in  the  process)
> rather than concentrate on substance and fairness.
>
> This transition forces users to upgrade yet again. Ian made a nice comment
> about the intent or the essence of this XML 'format', which is by no means
> a  standard,  and  judging by professional's word, will never  become  one
> either. It is bound to a single existing implementation.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Roy

Wow, you're an idiot.

"Draft 1.3 of the Ecma Office Open XML formats standard" was just
released a few days ago, and you can read about it and download the
specification here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_jones/archive/2006/05/18/601150.aspx

Also check this site for further enlightenment, so that you don't make
a fool of your self again due to wilfull ignorance:
http://openxmldeveloper.org/default.aspx